Tuesday, December 11, 2012

How To Conquer Fear

The best way to conquer fear is to do what you fear anyway.

I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. 
The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
Nelson Mandela

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.
John Wayne

Courage is doing what your afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you’re scared.
Eddie Rickenbacker

Source: Washington's Blog

Fear is the imagination of the mind.

Mind breeds fear.

To destroy that fear, do what you fear.

I was very socially isolated at one time for quite a number of years.

I don't think I am an introvert (not frank extrovert either, but probably extroverted introvert) but I became more introverted due to social isolation.

I became uncomfortable with many people around me (as I seemed to have lost many social skills) and became quite afraid of speaking in the crowds.

So what I did was go to many social gatherings, I went to all sorts of social events.

First of all, I moved to a flat where 12 people lived together, 5 guys and 7 gals.

I went to many public education programmes, church events, volunteer works, camps, picnics, dinners and even night club (at one time).

Slowly but surely I conquered the fear of being around people socially.

I learned a lot of social skills through those experiences.

I got to meet a lot of people, with their own personalities, desires, dreams, wants and hope.

So I did that for about a year. That was 2 years ago.

I spent the best year of my life then.

Fear is nothing, when you can see the fear in the eyes, and just do it, knowing that you could make a fool of yourself in the process.

But what I found is that we all make mistakes when we learn anything new.

Babies fall down multiple times before they can properly walk.

I was clumsy when I first started learning to ride a bicycle.

Baseball players need to swing enough times and even fail multiple times before they can finally score home runs.

Soccer players need to shoot enough times toward the net, to score goals.

The best way to conquer fear is to do what you fear anyway.

And that fear becomes a memory.

P.S.
And yeah, I had this personalised image of fear (like Darth Maul in Star Wars Episode I: Phantom Menace), his expression was so priceless when I conquered a particular fear.

He actually got afraid of me, surprised and gasping, as if to say, "how could you conquer fear? I can't believe that, what the heck!)

No comments:

Post a Comment